Isleham Priory

The church is claimed to have been built c.1090 based upon the fact that it was called St Margaret of Antioch when it was granted to the abbey of St Jacut-de-la-Mer some time before 1163.  A similar provenance is not claimed for Marton church which now has the same dedication.

The church appears of one build made of local clunch rubble and limestone and laid partially in horizontal course and partially in herringbone style.  Barnack limestone seems to have been used for the plinth and pilaster buttresses, while the deeply splayed windows are Romanesque.  The west gable has 3 circular windows, while internally the chancel arch is Romanesque.


Copyright©2021 Paul Martin Remfry

  • Index

  • Home