Wootton Wawen

The church was probably founded soon after 723-37 when King AEthelbald of Mercia granted Earl Aethilric 20 hides of land to build a monastery or minster.  The land was near the River Aeluuinnae, now the Alne.  The church was obviously standing in 1086 when a priest was mentioned here.  Shortly afterwards Robert Tosny Stafford (d.c.1088) granted the church to Conches abbey.

The oldest part of the church would appear to be the 3 lower storeys of the central tower.  These are typically Saxon with long and short work quoins and early Romanesque doorways on all 4 sides.  The tower at York, Bishophill Junior, also had 4 doorways.  The bulk of the tower is made up of a jumble of poorly coursed rubble.  Adjoining the tower to the west is a large nave (some 50' by 25') with an added south aisle.  A blocked splayed Romanesque window is in the north wall where there are also traces of a blocked Romanesque north door.  Beneath the window are some single courses of herringbone masonry.  The west wall has a
blocked central doorway with large, crude jambs and a similar, broken lintel.


Copyright©2021 Paul Martin Remfry

  • Index

  • Home