In 1014 King Eathelred II (d.1016) granted Ealderman Leofwine 'a
district containing 4 mansae... which is called Mathon'. By 1086
the 5 hides of Mathon with the church had passed to Pershore abbey.
The original church had an apse end which was later replaced by a
rectangular chancel. There now appears no break between chancel
and nave walls, though the chancel roof is lower than that of the nave. The bulk of the church consists of rubble masonry, although herringbone masonry was
discovered in the north and south walls when the plaster was stripped
away. This lies between the second and third windows of the nave
just below the eaves on the south side and just west of the porch along
the greater part of the north wall at the same height. Overall
this herringbone masonry seems to be more to do with the positioning of
the new roof, rather than an original church build.
Despite this, there are early doorways to north and south. The
northern one is blocked and consists of plain jambs with an irregular
red sandstone tympanum with a cable moulding on the lower side.
The south door is much better built with another red sandstone
tympanum and a Romanesque arch over it. The south chancel doorway
is a simple Romanesque arch which appears much rebuilt.
Paul Martin Remfry