Sadly only the tower remains of the medieval church, the rest have been replaced in 1859.  The powerful tower seems to have been of 3 storeys, with the bottom one being as tall as the nave.  Each susequent storey saw an external instep.  The surviving windows are all Romanesque apart from the bell chamber which has 4 probably fifteenth century twin openings which may replace the earlier originals.  The twin windows on the lowest floor may suggest that this was originally split into 2 floors.  The tower contains much herringbone work bounded by long and short quoins.


Copyright©2021 Paul Martin Remfry

  • Index

  • Home