Edvin Loach

The old church lies within the outer bailey of Edvin Loach
castle.  Before 1050 the church belonged to the more important minster of Clifton upon Teme.  

The church is in a normal layout, with tower to the west and chancel to the east with a nave inbetween, the whole being about 50' long.  The nave walls are both herringbone style.  The windows have mostly gone, but they were set high in the wall and deeply splayed, as seems normal for this age of church.  Further herringbone walling survives on either side of the tower which may also be pre-Conquest.  The south door is a particularly impressive early entrance, with Romanesque arch and powerful flat lintel, but no tympanum.


Copyright©2021 Paul Martin Remfry

  • Index

  • Home