Swallow was another vill held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075 that passed through Ralph Mortimer's daughter to the Vescy family in the twelfth century.
Swallow church is a rare survival in being reckoned a nearly intact eleventh century structure. The glory of the site is definitely the tower with its three bell openings and moulded parapet. The north wall of the nave shows two blocked early arcades, while under the west window is a 'Norman' round-headed grave marker with radiating petals. The north wall of the chancel also shows traces of the arcade, although this part of the structure has been heavily rebuilt and possibly raised in the nineteenth century. In the west corner of the chancel traces of a former southern arcade can be seen. The early pointed chancel arch and scallop patterned font are impressive.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry