Bonby was another vill held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075 that passed through Ralph Mortimer's daughter before 1094 to the Vescy family in the twelfth century.
The original Mortimer age church may survive in the shape of the early nave with thirteenth and fifteenth century windows which has been much rebuilt with modern brick additions to east and west. The northern arcade was blocked apparently in the thirteenth century. The early round topped south doorway is also blocked. The brick chancel and tower date from 1894, although once again the font could date back to Mortimer times.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry