Wigmore church was probably originally a Saxon structure consisting of a large nave and probably a chancel. As the caput of the Mortimers of Wigmore the church came into their hands in 1075.
The north wall of the nave still has much herringbone masonry in its make up and this may well be from the first millennium AD. Probably the entire early church was built in this style. Internally one possibly original light remains and some shattered fourteenth century glass in the east window of the south aisle.
In the thirteenth century the west wall of the nave was demolished and a rectangular tower constructed.
Around the same time a chancel was added to the east end, together with a southern aisle which was built on sloping ground against the nave. In the fourteenth century a chapel was added to the north front of the nave, of which over half still survives. The nave roof is probably fifteenth century.
For more details of the political history of the Mortimers please refer to the page on Wigmore in Anglo-Norman Castles.