Surrendell was another vill held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075. By 1200 Surrendell was recorded as a chapel of Hullavington, although it had been mentioned as a church in its own right before 1179. The vill failed after the Black Death and slowly disappeared from its fourteenth century heyday when it boasted 37 poll tax payers in 1377. The church was in ruins by 1700 and no trace now remains of it, the adjacent manor house, or the vill, other than the present Surrendell farm.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry