Stratfield Mortimer Church
Stratfield Mortimer was another vill held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075. Unfortunately the church was massively rebuilt in 1869, but two brasses of 1441 survive with some damaged fifteenth century stained glass in the window behind the organ. The age of the site is attested by the Saxon stone coffin lid of Aegelwardus, d.1017.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry