Stoke Edith Church
Stoke Edith took its name from Queen Edith (d.1074), the wife of Edward the Confessor, to distinguish it from the many other Stokes in the country. As such it came into the hands of Ralph Mortimer of Wigmore in 1075. The chancel and nave have been destroyed and replaced in the eighteenth century, but the rectangular tower remains. This has a recessed needle spire and shows signs of having been rebuilt at least once when larger windows were added. All this work probably dates from the time of Mortimer ownership as too may the fifteenth century alabaster effigy of a female.
At the top of the west face of the tower a weathered head has been reset in a blocked window arch. It looks thirteenth century.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry