Silchester was another vill held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075.
Silchester church lies hard against the Roman wall of Silchester town, which incidently contains some herringbone work.
Once again there is evidence that Silchester is an early church with a nave and in this case a long, tall chancel. Around 1200 a north aisle was added to the nave and a south aisle over a hundred years later.
A female effigy in the church has been identified as Margaret Cusancia (d.1300).
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry