Unfortunately nothing remains of Ratlinghope priory as the site was thoroughly rebuilt in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. It then became the parish church as appears in the accompanying Victorian photograph. The vill was originally a Corbet holding and by the early thirteenth century the church had been raised into a priory when it was led by Walter Corbet, a distant relative of Prince Llywelyn ab Iorwerth of North Wales (d.1240). Before 1210 it was subject to St Victors of Paris and dependent upon Wigmore abbey. When it was suppressed under Henry VIII the priory boasted the prior and 29 canons. Foundations of the conventional buildings were apparently found north of the current church in the eighteenth century.
The current church carries the date of 1625 above the south door and there is nothing in the structure which goes against such a date for all the remaining fabric.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry