Otterbourne was another vill held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075 until they died out in 1425. Previously it had been granted to Winchester church by King Edgar (d.975). In the 1250s the vill was held by Bartholomew, the son of Henry Capella (d.1248) from Brian Brampton of Brampton Bryan, who was holding of Roger Mortimer (d.1282). From the Capellas the interest passed to the Winton family.
The current Otterbourne church was built in 1840 and replaces the medieval structure whose site in the old graveyard stands some distance to the south. Traces of the thirteenth century chancel remain.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry