Neen Savage Church
Neen Savage was another church which came to Ralph Mortimer (d.1118+) in 1075 and remained in Mortimer hands until 1425. The church had been granted to Wigmore abbey by 1291.
The church appears to be of two early builds, but was heavily restored in 1882. Despite this much can still be seen. There are south doors into both the long chancel and nave where one narrow early window also survives amongst the later fenestration. The earliest stonework would appear to be the rubble-built chancel and eastern section of the nave. The western end of the nave consists of superior quality stonework. The tower would appear to be later than this and is built in a totally different style.
In the north wall three dissimilar narrow windows survive at different heights as well as a blocked round headed doorway of an early style. The upper parts of the tower were replaced after a fire in 1825.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry