This nunnery was founded before 1199 in lands probably held by the Lingens, major tenants of the Mortimers of nearby Wigmore. At an early date it was gratned to Wigmore abbey.
Little now remains of the structure which was about forty feet by 22 and made of local sandstone rubble which still stands fifteen feet high in places. The remaining doors and windows suggest a building date of between 1150 and 1250. There are many humps and bumps in the surrounding fields of subsiduary buildings, while a cottage has been built on the site using the priory ruins.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry