Kinnersley was known as Elburgelega when the vill was given to Ralph Mortimer of Wigmore in 1075. The placename had changed to Kinardesleg by 1140.
The early church has been much rebuilt, but portions of the west wall still survive with a blocked early round topped doorway. The chancel was added later and aisles placed on either side of the nave. Later still the impressive saddleback roofed tower was added to the west end of the north aisle. Within the church is a brass to the parish priest, William Leviot, who died in 1421, four years before the last Mortimer of Wigmore.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry