Kington St Michael Church
Kington St Michael was another vill held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075. In 934 the vill was recorded as Kington, but only seems to have become Kington St Michael before 1279, probably to differentiate it from Kington St Michael priory.
The church consists of the standard early nave and chancel with a west tower of 1725 and north aisle of 1755. The nave retains an early twelfth century aisle to the south which has been rewindowed in the thirteenth century. The south porch covers the remains of an early doorway. The early chancel arch has been heavily restored.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry