Highley was a Domesday manor of the Mortimers of Wigmore. Around 1150 Hugh Mortimer (d.1181) persuaded its tenant, William Highley (bef.1135-62+), to grant the church to Shobdon priory. It therefore passed to Wigmore abbey when this monastery was founded in 1172.
The present church would appear to date from before its granting to Shobdon priory and consists of an early chancel and nave. The roof appears fifteenth century, while the south door may contain ironwork from the original building. The well-built west tower was added to the earlier nave, while the curious south-eastern corner buttress would appear to survive from an earlier tower. The churchyard cross is highly decorated with figures.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry