Hessle was another berewick held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075 that passed through Ralph Mortimer's daughter to the Vescy family in the twelfth century.
Like many other early churches Hessle would appear to have original consisted of a chancel and nave which had aisles added in the thirteenth century. In 1868-70 the nave was lengthened by two bays and the chancel rebuilt using older materials. A west tower with a spire was added in the fifteenth century.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry