Eardisland was an early royal property that passed into the hands of the Braose and then the Mortimers of Wigmore after the marriage between the two families around 1245. The vill then remained in Mortimer hands until the family's extinction in 1425.
Eardisland church has a long nave apparently of the early thirteenth century as too may be the base of the early eighteenth century tower. The nave was extended in the mid fourteenth century when a chancel, vestrty and south porch were added. There are two recesses in the nave that would have contained effigies. Another tomb recess, probably of the fourteenth century, can be seen in the chancel. All are currently empty.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry