Chetton church was held by Wigmore abbey in 1291. Before that it had belonged to the Corbets of Chetton 'through hereditary right' along with Eudon Salvage. This would suggest that the land had come to him as a retainer of the Mortimers.
The church retains a chancel with south doorway probably of the thirteenth century. The nave was rebuilt in 1788, while the chancel arch rests on two large primitive corbels representing human heads.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry