Burghfield was another vill held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075. The vill itself is mentioned as far back as the sixth century, but the medieval church was totally demolished and rebuilt in 1843. Thankfully not all of the contents were lost and a fourteenth century knightly effigy could well represent a Mortimer or one of their retainers. Two other effigies survive as well as Earl Richard Neville of Salisbury (d.1460), the father of Warwick the Kingmaker. He lies next to an earlier female effigy. Both probably came from nearby Bisham priory at the dissolution of the monasteries.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry