Burford church was in centre of the barony of the Mortimers of Richards Castle and may have been commenced in stone during the reign of King Harold II (d.1066). The chancel is all that remains of the early structure. In the fourteenth century, probably after the church passed out of Mortimer control in 1304, a new nave and tower were added.
The entire structure was extensively rebuilt in 1889. Within are many fine effigies of the Cornwall family, who succeeded the Mortimers, within the church.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry