Bucknell church was much restored and partially rebuilt in 1870, but this does not completely obsure the original church from the Mortimer era. The first church was possibly commenced before Andrew Staunton of Staunton on Arrow granted it to Wigmore abbey in return for sanctuary for himself and his wife in the lead up to the Young King's war of 1174.
The chancel appears to have been rebuilt in the early fourteenth century with a pointed south doorway (just visible to the right in the photograph below) which has now been blocked. The stiff-leaf decoration on the nave arcade could well be twelfth century.
The font, decorated with a whiskered human or lion head and Celtic knot motifs could well be Saxon.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry