Bubwith was another vill held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075 that passed through Ralph Mortimer's daughter to the Fitz John family probably before 1094. Before 1130 they changed their name to Vescy and continued as lords of the manor in that name under Mortimer's feudal tenure.
The church appears to date to after the Mortimers became mere feudal figureheads in this district. The earliest part is the nave which is probably late twelfth century. This was flanked by aisles in the thirteenth century and a chancel slightly later although the older round headed chancel arch was retained. Above the chancel arch within the chancel is a small winged figure in relief which could date back to the twelfth century. The west tower was built from funds supplied by the will of Bishop Nicholas Bubwith of Bath and Wells (d.1424).
Bubwich church website
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry