Bradfield was another vill held by the Mortimers of Wigmore, probably from 1075. The church was extensively restored in 1847-48, but enough remains to show an early chancel and nave. The nave had north and south aisles, probably added in the early fourteenth century, as well as a chapel in what became the south transpet. The chancel is apsidal - a rare occurence in Mortimer churches. It appears to have been a chapel of Hullavington by 1200 and there was a chantry here by 1320.
The manor house was a rare survival.
VCH history of Bradfield
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry