Bodenham was another Richards Castle barony vill. As such the church belonged to the Mortimers of Richards Castle from 1211 to 1304. It is therefore possible that they were responsible for much of the church which can be seen today.
The building consists of an early nave, of which only portions of the east end survive. The rest, the chancel, west tower, porch and nave aisles with their arcades, could well date to about 1300. Interestingly the pyramidal tower roof overlies the stump of an incomplete recessed spire. Perhaps this change of plan might be dated to the troubles in Burford barony during 1304-07.
Within the church is an effigy of a mother and child which might also be within the Moritmer timespan of ownership of the church.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry