Bleddfa church came into the hands of the Mortimers of Essex together with the barony of Richards Castle in 1211 and remained in their hands until 1304 when the male line died out.
The church consists of a low, narrow nave probably of the early thirteenth century, with a wider, slightly newer chancel beyond. In 1304 work began on the new west tower of which only portions of the first floor now remain. This was probably destroyed in 1402 when the district was pillaged by Owain Glyndwr.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry