Birley was another vill that was held by the Mortimers of Wigmore at Domesday.
The church would appear to have an early nave with later chancel attached via a late thirteenth century chancel arch. The south chapel, next to the 'Norman' south door, was added later again, probably towards the end of the fourteenth century, but the apparently two phase rectangular west tower could well date back to the twelfth century. The church was restored in 1873-4.
The font is an interesting example with saltire crosses amongst its decoration.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry