Barton Stacey Church
Barton Stacey was another vill held by the Mortimers of Wigmore probably from 1075. The early church survives, but with many additons. Again it started as a chancel and nave which was given aisles in the twelfth century. The aisles were continued eastwards in the thirteenth century, leaving each side with two round and two octagonal columns. Finally transepts were added and a western tower in the early seventeenth century.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry