AstonAston church was built as a small chancel and nave structure, probably in the early Norman period and still retains original north and south doorways, although the building windows have all been renewed. The tympanum over the south doorway is another excellent example of local carving, depicting a lamb with a cross within a halo held jointly by the bull of St Luke and the eagle of St John, themselves surrounded by other animals and Celtic and chevron patterning. The chancel appears to have been rebuilt in the thirteenth century, while original twelfth century wall paintings showing masonry and flowers adorn the nave walls. The font is early and shows a dragon and another beast.
The vill was probably given to Ralph Mortimer of Wigmore (d.bef.1137) in 1075. Before 1252 the vill with church was sub-infeudated to the Bramptons of Brampton Bryan, the major tenurial barons of Wigmore lordship. Quite possibly this grant had taken place as early as the 1140's so it is impossible to state with certainty who was responsible for building this beautiful church, other than it was most likely done under Mortimer patronage. Two nearby castle sites at Aston most probably date to the Anarchy.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry