Ashford Carbonell Church
Ashford [Carbonell] was another Richards Castle barony vill and therefore the church belonged to the Mortimers of Richards Castle from 1211 to 1304. By the thirteenth century the family of Carbonell held the vill from Burford barony and around this time the parish took on this name to distinguish it from Ashford Bowdler and Ashford Jones.
The church seems to have begun as an early chancel and nave structure before the Mortimer era, although both were extended in their time period.
Copyright©2013 Paul Martin Remfry