The forlorn ruins on the motte at Cymer stand high above the ruins of Cymer abbey.
The castle was first mentioned in 1116 when it was recorded in the
Annales Cambriae that Einion ap Cadwgan and Gruffydd ap Maredudd ap
Bleddyn broke into the castle called Vedrith at Kymmer
and gained the land. The castle had been built some time earlier
by Uchdryd ab Edwin, another early twelfth century claimant to North
Paul Martin Remfry