castle consists of a large mound thought to have been the castle motte.
On top of this is a masonry structure, probably built as a folly,
but possibly encasing an earlier Civil War fort recorded in the 1640s.
At the base of the mound is a ditched earthwork bailey.
The castle at Aberlleiniog is recorded as being attacked and burned by
Gruffydd ap Cynan (d.1137) in 1094 when it was held for Earl Hugh of
the beach where the Afon Lleiniog flows into the sea is another much
smaller mound which appears to have once been a motte and bailey
castle. This commands the landing beach at the mouth of the Menai
Strait and what could have been an old, but now silted up harbour in
the river. One, or maybe both of these sites belonged to Earl
Hugh and both have no further recorded medieval history after 1094.
Paul Martin Remfry