Cymer Castle

The forlorn ruins on the motte at Cymer stand high above the ruins of Cymer abbey.  

The castle was first mentioned in 1116 when it was recorded in the Annales Cambriae that Einion ap Cadwgan and Gruffydd ap Maredudd ap Bleddyn broke into the castle called Vedrith at Kymmer and gained the land.  The castle had been built some time earlier by Uchdryd ab Edwin, another early twelfth century claimant to North Wales.


 

Copyright©2016 Paul Martin Remfry


  • Index

  • Home